I built a set of shutters this morning after looking through a variety of styles online. Most of the images were for decorative purposes but I needed to have something functional to secure the walkout basement windows. I came up with something that looks pretty good and offers security at the same time. I used some leftover v-groove pine along with some hinges I had ordered last summer from Lee Valley Tools. I decided to make a face frame to raise the doors away from the glass and to provide a solid mounting platform.
I thought about gluing the tongue and groove joints but ended up simply screwing a batten at the top and bottom of each door.
To mount the hinges I had to add a block so they could lay flat when closed. I used some birch plywood scraps instead of pine to avoid splitting.
I am pleased with the look and functionality.
The last steps will include applying the same oil/stain as the siding, and finding a lock system that compliments the design.