I found quite a few illustrations online for building drawers. This was one task I felt a little intimidated by as I had never built a set of drawers. I used the first drawer as my prototype. The drawer worked out perfectly so I cut all of the pieces for the rest of the drawers to save time setting and re-setting the saw. Everything went well with the Kreg jig as a fastening default. After all of the drawers were sanded and varnished I attached self closing drawer sliders. Getting the sliders working smoothly was a piece of cake for all but one drawer. One of my dividers was a little out of square, but I managed to adjust the sliders to make things work. It might seem like a small thing to someone who has purchased a set of ready made cabinets, but every time I open and close one of these drawers I take special delight in how good they look and how smoothly they operate.
It has been some time since my last post so I will attempt some catch up. The kitchen is still a work in progress. Over the winter, I have learned a great deal about building cabinets and doors. The carcasses are all built with 5/8" birch plywood and fastened with a Kreg jig. This was a really simple process once I got set up. The tricky part was ripping the 4x8 sheets of plywood into manageable widths. I'll remember to get the sheets cut at the lumber store next time to make my life easier. Everything is to be finished in pine, with glass in the upper doors.