The past few weekends have been spent getting firewood under cover and visiting. A break from the building is probably a good thing. If we had taken advantage of the warm weather we likely could have raised four more walls by now. That will likely happen in the midst of snow and colder temperatures. The floor plans have been re-drawn many times now, but at some point the final locations for windows and doors will dictate the next direction for the design. We are planning to leave as much open space as possible from the basement up.
Installing the deadbolt in the basement door was an interesting exercise. I was quickly reminded of the need for precision and alignment. Although I had borrowed a jig for cutting the holes, I was still faced with ensuring that the striker plate and hole was aligned perfectly. Of course everything does not always work out the way you anticipate. I wound up next door with the hole saw bit in a vise, trying to loosen one bit in order to put on the smaller one. After about two and a half hours, my little deadbolt job was finally finished.
The first priority on arrival was to install a high temperature chimney in the "love shack" and get some deep heat going. This was well worth the effort. We now have a toasty little place to warm up while picking away at things over the winter months. I'll get some related pictures up sometime. I learned something about reading instructions (or not reading instructions) before proceeding. ...To be continued.
We set up a temporary roof to shed snow. Now that we have snow, we can go and see how well our engineering did the job.